Extreme Networks ERS 59100GTS 100-port Switch
High-end Wiring Closet Switch
Sorry, this product is no longer available, please contact us for a replacement.
Click here to jump to more pricing!
Please Note: All Prices are Inclusive of GST
Next-generation, high-performance, feature-rich Ethernet Switch platforms specifically optimized for the Wiring Closet demands of the high-performance Enterprise. Extreme Ethernet Routing Switch 5900 products deliver the agility to perform equally in conventional IP and Ethernet Fabricbased networking solutions.
The Ethernet Routing Switch 5900 products leverage the latest advances in network switching architecture design to maximize hardware performance and software capability. These products represent a clear evolutionary step for the Ethernet Routing Switch 5000 Series, particularly in terms of value and futureready flexibility.
The primary purpose of a network is to interconnect users with their applications, and the best networks do this reliably, efficiently, and with a high degree of agility. Extreme’s Fabric-based architecture empowers companies to extend the virtualized Ethernet Fabric beyond the Data Center, to the very edge of the network, delivering powerful integration of users, applications, and devices.
The Ethernet Routing Switch 5900 (ERS 5900) products are an important part of this strategy integrating Fabric Connect capabilities into a formfactor that is cost-effective, flexible, and reliable. The ERS 5900 products can be deployed standalone, or configured as a Stackable Chassis system of up to eight units/416 ports, supported by up to 672Gbps of virtual backplane bandwidth.
Supporting modern Enterprise applications requires a flexible and highly reliable infrastructure, and the ERS 5900 products deliver against this challenge. These are highly strategic products, fit-for-purpose for conventional Routed IP connectivity requirements and future-ready for the evolving and emerging software-defined needs of tomorrow. Boasting equal competency for both IP and Fabric-based networking give businesses the flexibility to satisfy all common deployment scenarios, with the added advantage of an easy transitioning between the two.
Extreme brings unique differentiation to the high-end Wiring Closet role: with a flexible, non-blocking “Stackable Chassis” architecture. The proprietary Extreme “Flexible Advanced Stacking Technology” (FAST) protocol - implemented over dedicated Quality-of-Service aware interfaces - enables a resilient, highperformance solution that leverages a shortest path algorithm to minimizes transit hops in a multi-device configuration by providing active-active bidirectional traffic flows. The Extreme Stackable Chassis technology can offer the same performance, resiliency, and ease of serviceability attributes of a traditional Chassis solution, but at a lower, pay-as-you-grow price point. Notable is the ability to swap-out an individual failed unit without the requirement to pre-or post-stage operating system software or configuration; providing equivalency to module replacement for a modular Chassis system.
The ERS 5900 products are purpose-built to support the demands of today’s dynamic Wiring Closet with high-density, full-featured Gigabit Ethernet. It alleviates infrastructure complexity and reduces operational burden with a truly scalable and strategic architecture; it is designed to deliver a high-performance Enabled Edge solution that fully optimizes investments in next-generation application software.
Leveraging both next-generation hardware and software technology provides a solution that is ready to support both today’s requirements and tomorrow’s emerging needs. The ERS 5900 products enable organizations to future-proof with a highly software-definable network virtualization solution.
- High-end Wiring Closet Switches
- Agile support for Extreme Fabric Connect
- Advanced IPv4 and IPv6 Routing
- Non-blocking, wire-speed switching performance
- High-capacity Stackable Chassis architecture
- 24, 48, or 96 ports of Gigabit Ethernet for access connectivity
- Support for 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet high-speed access connectivity
- 4 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet for network uplink connectivity
- Optional support for full-power PoE/ PoE+, and Four-Pair PoE
- Field-replaceable AC Power and Cooling, with flexible airflow
- MACsec support
- Innovative, versatile, highly scalable adds capacity and performance
- Advanced capabilities ease deployments
- High-performance, pay-as-you -grow Stacking
- Convergence-ready for advanced communications
- Autonomic Edge dramatically reduces the cost of change
- Hands-free service automation
Features and Capabilities
- Non-blocking, wire-speed
- Integrated design
- Extreme Stackable Chassis
- Extreme Fabric Connect
- Fabric Attach
- Advanced IPv4 and IPv6 Routing
- Field-replaceable Power and Fans
- Front-to-Back and Back-to-Front airflow options
Broadly speaking, the Ethernet Routing Switch 5900 products provide a mix of Gigabit Ethernet ports for edge access and multiple 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports for network uplinks. Model variants that support Power-over-Ethernet are also available, and all models support optional highly available AC power (up to two field-replaceable Power Supplies, or up to four for the 59100 models) and cooling (two field-replaceable Fan modules, or four for the 59100 models).
Three different port configurations are available: 28-port, 52-port, and 100-port models, and each of the configurations is available in either a PoE or non-PoE format. Additionally, there are 28-port versions that support the new Four-Pair (Universal) PoE capability. The product range includes the following models:
- ERS 5928GTS - 24 x 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45, plus 4 x 10 Gigabit SFP+
- ERS 5928GTS-uPWR - 24 x 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45 with Universal PoE, plus 4 x 10 Gigabit SFP+
- ERS 5928MTS-uPWR 24 x 100/1000Mbps/2.5 Gbps RJ45 with Universal PoE, plus 4 x 10 Gigabit SFP+1
- ERS 5952GTS - 48 x 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45, plus 4 x 10 Gigabit SFP+
- ERS 5952GTS-PWR+ - 48 x 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45 with PoE/PoE+, plus 4 x 10 Gigabit SFP+
- ERS 59100GTS - 96 x 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45, plus 4 x 10 Gigabit SFP+
- ERS 59100GTS-PWR+ - 96 x 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45 with PoE/PoE+, plus 4 x 10 Gigabit SFP+
The product’s proven design leverages a sophisticated chipset from the Industry’s leading supplier, featuring high-performance switching and frame forwarding. The switching core is designed to deliver wire-speed capabilities, with a fully integrated ASIC architecture that facilitates hardware-assisted feature execution.
The 28-port models - ERS 5928GTS, and ERS 5928GTSuPWR - feature 24 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet access ports with RJ45 interfaces; these ports also support 10/100Mbps connectivity. Four SFP+ interfaces provide for network uplink connectivity, and these ports support both Gigabit and 10 Gigabit pluggable transceivers. The new ERS 5928MTS-uPWR model features 24 1000BASE-T Gigabit/2.5 Gigabit Ethernet access ports with RJ45 interfaces; these ports also support 100Mbps connectivity. As with all other ERS 5900 model, four SFP+ interfaces provide for network uplink connectivity, and these ports support both Gigabit and 10 Gigabit pluggable transceivers.
The 52-port models - ERS 5952GTS and ERS 5952GTSPWR+ - feature 48 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet access ports with RJ45 interfaces; these ports also support 10/100Mbps connectivity. Four SFP+ interfaces provide for network uplink connectivity, and these ports support both Gigabit and 10 Gigabit pluggable transceivers.
The 100-port models - ERS 59100GTS and ERS 59100GTSPWR+ - feature 96 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet access ports with RJ45 interfaces; these ports also support 10/100Mbps connectivity. Four SFP+ interfaces provide for network uplink connectivity, and these ports support both Gigabit and 10 Gigabit pluggable transceivers.
Importantly, all ERS 5900 models feature two dedicated Stackable Chassis interfaces on the rear; one a bidirectional uplink and the other a bi-directional downlink. These QoS-aware high-speed connections enable a resilient, high-performance hardware virtualization solution, leveraging a shortest path algorithm to minimizes transit hops in a multi-device configuration and supporting activeactive bi-directional traffic flows.
The Power-over-Ethernet models - ERS 5928-PWR+, ERS 5952GTS-PWR+, and ERS 59100GTS-PWR+ support full Standards-compliant IEEE 802.3af/802.3at PoE/PoE+ delivering up to 30W per port to power IP Phones, Wireless Access Points, networked IP CCTV Cameras, and other converged devices2. The ERS 5928GTS-uPWR and 5928MTS-uPWR models support the Four-Pair PoE initiative (a.k.a. Universal PoE), enabling up to 60 Watts of power on access ports. This capability can be used to support a greater range of highpower devices through a single standard Ethernet cable, such as premium telepresence systems, multi-radio Wireless Access Points, VDI Thin Clients and monitors, trading turrets used in the financial vertical, downstream compact Switches, and even PoE-power smart lighting systems. Four-Pair PoE is seen as a key enabling technology for the Internet of Things. These models also support conventional 802.3af/802.3at PoE/PoE+.
These PoE models utilize field-replaceable, hot-swappable power supplies that can each deliver up to 1,400W (or 1,000W when connected to 110VAC), while the non-PoE models utilize a version that is rated at 450W. A portion of power is reserved for system operation: 200W for the 28 and 52-port models, and 400W for the 96-port model. PoE power budgets are as follows:
- ERS 5928GTS-uPWR+, 5928MTS-uPWR, and 5952GTSPWR+ - 1,440W of PoE power with 2 PSUs installed, and up to 1,200W with a single PSU
- ERS 59100GTS-uPWR - 2,880W of PoE power with 4 PSUs installed, up to 2,880W with 3 PSUs, up to 2,580W with 2 PSUs, and up to 1,200W with a single PSU
The ERS 5900 products add significant flexibility to an Enterprise’s networking capability. Deployed with other Extreme or third-party Ethernet Switch devices, the ERS 5900 products provide high-capacity, highperformance connectivity solution for high-end Wiring Closet applications.
The ERS 5900 products deliver key Enterprise-class benefits, including:
- Always-On - Stackable Chassis delivers a best-in-class high-availability solution, featuring hot-swappable unit replacement and integrated power redundancy.
- Convergence-Ready - Flexible support for PoE/ PoE+, Universal PoE optimized for high-definition video surveillance, true plug-and-play capabilities for communications, collaboration, and engagement deployments, and advanced QoS capabilities.
- Powerful - Wire-speed performance, truly scalable virtual backplane capabilities, delivering up to 672Gbps of throughput to support large-scale deployments.
- Highly Secure - Standards-based 802.1X Network Access Control can also be integrated with Extreme Management Center for centralized, policy-based authenticated network access. The ERS 5900 now also supports MACsec for link layer encryption on both Access and Uplink ports.
- Flexibility and Agility - Best-in-class pay-as-yougrow scalability, versatile PoE/PoE+/Universal PoE support, multiple 1/10 Gigabit network uplinks and flexible airflow.
- Fabric-Enabled - Supporting Extreme’s Fabric Connect technologies to empower a seamless transition to an agile, software-defined virtualized networking solution.
- Energy Efficient - Focusing on end-to-end energy efficiency, dynamic Energy Saver further reduces power consumption for both the Ethernet Switch and IP Phones without impacting service availability.
Features and Capabilities:
Next-generation, High-performance, Feature-rich Ethernet Switch
The ERS 5900 products are purpose-built to support the demands of today's dynamic Wiring Closet with high-density, full-featured Gigabit Ethernet. The ERS 5900 products can be deployed standalone, or configured as a Stackable Chassis system of up to eight units/416 ports, supported by up to 672Gbps of virtual backplane bandwidth.
Supports Extreme Fabric Connect technology into a form-factor that is cost-effective, flexible, and reliable, to empower a seamless transition to an agile, software-defined virtualized networking solution.
Support the Demands of Today's Dynamic Wiring Closet
Deliver highly-available Ethernet connectivity for delay-sensitive and business-critical data and voice applications. Provide an effective solution for challenging environments with advanced Layer 3 routing services.
From an operating system software perspective, the ERS 5900 products were introduced via the 7.0 release; therefore, this is the minimum level of system software required to operate the Switches3. As of the 7.1 release, both the ERS 5900 and ERS 4900 Series products are supported by the same BOSS software image. This delivers harmonized feature availability - where applicable - across both the mainstream and premium product lines.
The recent BOSS 7.5 release delivers the following enhancements:
- Integration into Extreme Management Center
- Support for MACsec on both Access and Uplink ports
- Adding Egress Filters for IPv4/IPv6, and Ingress Filters for IPv6
- Support for NTPv4
Features and Capabilities
- Non-blocking, wire-speed switching architecture.
- Integrated design that is optimized for low latency and high Quality-of-Service (including QoS-aware Stackable Chassis interfaces).
- Feature-rich support for conventional VLAN, Private VLAN, Multi-Link Trunking, Spanning Tree technologies.
- Extreme Stackable Chassis technology supporting scalability up to 8 units/416 ports, and Auto-Unit Replacement for Software Image and Configuration.
- Extreme Fabric Connect technology supports L2 Virtual Service Networks (VSNs), IP Shortcut Routing, IP Multicast-over-Fabric Connect, ETREE, and Fabric Attach.
- IP Routing includes support for Static, RIP/RIPng, OSPF, ECMP, VRRP, Routing Polices and Source-based Routing, and PIM-SM/PIM-SSM.
High-Availability Power and Cooling
- High-availability field-replaceable, hot-swappable AC internal Power Supplies, available in 450W and 1,400 (1,000W for 100-120V) ratings for - respectively - nonPoE and PoE applications.
- High-availability field-replaceable Fan Trays available in Front-to-Back or Back-to-Front airflow configuration to match PSUs.
- Lifetime Hardware Warranty, providing Next Business Day shipment of replacement hardware.
- Lifetime Software Warranty, providing access to Updates and Upgrades.
- Lifetime Basic Technical Support.
- 90-Day Post-Purchase Advanced Technical Support.
- Base Software License: included with hardware purchase, enables most features with the exception of those specifically noted and enabled by the Advanced Software License.
- Base Software + MACsec License: enables MACsec to be enabled on Access and Uplink ports, in addition to enabling Base features. This license is used to police the available of MACsec and comply with jurisdictional requirements.
- Advanced Software License: an optional accessory, enables the following features: OSPF, VRRP, ECMP, PIMSM/PIM-SSM, IPv6 Routing, (IP Static Routing, RIPng) and IP Shortcut Routing.
- Advanced Software + MACsec License: an optional accessory, enables the following features: OSPF, VRRP, ECMP, PIM-SM/PIM-SSM, IPv6 Routing, (IP Static Routing, RIPng) and IP Shortcut Routing. Enables MACsec to be enabled on Access and Uplink ports.
|ERS 59100GTS Specifications|
|Layer 3 IPv4 Routing Services||
|Layer 3 IPv6 Routing Services||
|QoS and Filtering||
|Operations and Management||
|Dimensions||17.4 in (W) x 3.4 in (H) x 19.2 in (D) 442 mm x 88.5 mm x 488 mm|
|Weight||11.9 12.9 kg|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 50°C (32°F to 122°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-40°C to 85°C (-40°F to 185°F)|
|Operating Humidity||0 to 95% maximum relative humidity, non-condensing|
|Storage Humidity||10 to 90% maximum relative humidity, non-condensing|
|Operating Altitude||0 to 3,048m (0 to 10,000ft) maximum|
|Storage Altitude||0 to 12,192m (0 to 40,000ft) maximum|
|Safety Agency Approvals||
|Electromagnetic Emissions and Immunity||
1 The ERS 5928MTS-uPWR model supports 100Mbps/1000Mbps/2.5Gbps and Full-Duplex operation on access ports; 10Mbps and/or Half-Duplex are not supported. Additionally, the ERS 5928MTS-uPWR does not support TDR.
2 A mix of both conventional and DDI Transceivers are supported. Additionally, SFP+ sockets are also capable of supporting a wide range of 1 Gigabit Ethernet Transceivers. Please refer to the product documentation for full details and a complete listing of all specifications and compliance.
Download the Extreme Networks Ethernet Routing Switch 5900 Datasheet (.PDF)
- All Prices are Inclusive of GST
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.